Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Channa Ghassi is a typical Konkani preparation & a must for many festivals & functions. The gravy or "Masol", as we call it is the same as in any Ghassi. With Channa we usually add Suran / Yam, Potato as an accompianment in the dish.You can also add Raw Jackfruit, its hard to find it here though.
Kabuli Channa - 1cup
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 3
Bedgayi Chillies - 2
Tamarind - a small piece
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Salt - to taste
1. Soak the Kabuli Channa over night. Next morning pressure cook it till done(Dont make it mushy!)
2. Roast in a drop of oil both red chillies. Bedgayi chillies gives a great colour to the dish - they are not spicy.
3. Grind coconut, tamarind & roasted chillies to a fine paste.This is called "MASOL".
4. Transfer the Masol,channa & required salt to a pan.Add little water & bring it to a liquid / pouring consistency.Bring this to a good boil.
5. Season this Ghassi with Mustard seeds, Methi & curry leaves.
Serve hot with rice. Make a nice upkari (vegetable) on the side & some pappads & you have a great meal set!