I am back after a break....Relocatted & settled down quite well. Will visit all your blogs soon!! Thanks for all your wishes during our move.
Well today's Konkani Jovan is - Rice, Alsanda Bea (Blackeyed bean) Koddel, Dudhi upkari & Karatha(Bitter Gourd) Chips.
Alsanda Bea (Black Eyed Bean) Koddel:
Black eyed bean - 1 cup
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 3
Bedgayi Chillies - 2
Tamarind - a small piece
Oil - 2 tsps
Garlic - 2 pods
Salt to taste.
1. Soak the bean over night & pressure cook till soft .
2. Roast the red chillies in a little oil & grind it together with coconut & tamarind to a fine paste. Add water as required while grinding. This is called Masol.
3. Now add the Masol to the cooked Bean & add salt & bring to a good boil.
4. Season with oil & sliced garlic fried till slightly brown.
This seasoning is absolutely aromatic & brings out a different flavour & taste to this curry. Any coconut based curry with garlic seasoning is called a Koddel in Konkani Cuisine.
Dudhi(Orange Pumpkin) - 1 medium slice
G.Chillies - 4
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Udad Dhal - 1/4 tsp
1. Cut the dudhi into length wise pieces along with the skin.
2. In a pan add oil & season with mustard seeds, Udad dhal & Green chillies. Then add the Dudhi pieces & salt & mix everything well
3. Add little water & bring cook till done.
This is a simple upkari but has a great taste & goes really well with the spicy koddel. It will have a slightly sweet taste as the Dudhi has its own sweetness.. if you like it, you will surely like this upkari.
Karathe( Bitter gord chjips) was store bought. Its great & goes well with simple dhal chawal or curd rice too!! Hope you liked my todays jovan!