Friday, July 25, 2008
Kidney Bean Curry
Kidney Bean, is a big flat creamish coloured bean. Its very tasty & has a creamy texture to it. In India, you get these in 2 sizes.. a medium one & a giant big one. I usually buy the big ones as we like those.
UPDATE: These are called Double beans in the store. I picked up the packed from Nilgiris in Chennai.
This curry is my Mom's recipe & comes out great. Its easy & delicious too!
So this curry is off to Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons, whos hosting the "Curry Mela". Thanks Sri for hosting a great event!
Kidney Bean - 1 cup
Coconut - 1/4 cup
G.Chillies - 3
Ginger - 1" piece
Garlic - 1 pod
Onion - 1
Jeera - Dhania powder - 1 tsp
Salt -to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
1. Soak the kidney bean over night. Pressure cook for just 1 whistle next day. The bean has to retain its shape & not get mushy.
2. Grind together - Coconut, G.Chillies, Ginger & Garlic to a fine paste.
3. In a pan add oil & saute finely chopped onions till slightly brown. Then add the ground masala & fry for 3-4 mts.
4. Now add chopped tomato, salt, jeera-dhania powder & mix well. Add required water & bring to a good boil, till raw smell off masala is gone.
5. Finally add the cooked bean & boil again.
Garnish with corriander leaves & serve hot with fluffy phulkas or fried rice! A perfect meal is ready....