Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Gova Kichidi (Wheat Kichidi)
"Gova Kichidi" is again a Manglorean sweet. Not many of you, would have heard / tasted it. Its made from Broken wheat (Samba Godumai - Tamil). Some of us use broken wheat to make upma.. but you must be wondering sweet... is that right?? Yes, its a sweet & tastes yummy!!
Broken wheat - 1 cup
Channa dhal - 1/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Sugar - 1&1/2 cups
Ghee - 4-5 tbspns
Elaichi powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - few
Raisins - few
1. Take broken wheat & channa dhal in a vessel. Wash once. Add required water & pressure cook for 2 whistles. (Channa dhal must not get mashed up!!)
2. Now put this in a pan along with, coconut, sugar, ghee & on a medium high heat, keep stirring.
3. It will seem liquidy, but as you cook, it will thicken & come together.
4. Then add elaichi powder & stir in well.
5. In another pan add little ghee & add cashews & raisins - fry them a little & add to the kichidi.
Your Gova kichidi is ready... serve slightly warm.