This is my entry to JFI - Toor Dhal hosted by Linda.
Raw rice - 1 cups
Toor dhal - 3/4 cup
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - A pinch
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies - 4 no.
Onion - 2
Cabbage - a big piece.
Oil - for frying dosa
Salt - acc to taste
1. Soak rice & dhal together for an hour.
2. Fry red chillies in a pinch of oil, till slightly brown.
3. Grind rice, dhal, red chillies, coconut, tamarind, salt & hing to a slightly coarse paste. Use as little was as possible. It must be a thick mixture.
4. Transfer to a vessel & add to it finely chopped onions & cabbage. Mix all well.
5. Heat a dosa pan & take a hand full of the batter in your hand and spread on dosa pan with hands. It must be 1/4 inch thick. Put oil & coverwith a lid to cook. Takes about 3-4 minutes.
6. Then turn & cook other side too till golden brown.
Serve hot or cold.. yummy always! Goes well with rice & dhal, or just eat it as such. You can use the same batter & fry like vadas. They are called Cabbage Ambodos. Another way is steam the same batter like idlis & its called Sanno Khotto... so its a 3 in 1 dish!!