Friday, November 30, 2007

Pondu Kolumbu (Garlic Curry)


Garlic is good for health & if you like the taste & flavour of garlic, you will like this dish. This recipe i learnt from my friend Meena. It tastes great & a favourite at our place!

Ingredients:

Garlic - 3 full pods
Oil - 3 tbspns
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Onion - 2 (Finely chopped)
Tomatoes - 2
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - 1 lemon size ball(soaked in water)

Fry in oil & gring to a fine paste:

Red Chillies- 8
Dhania - 4tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dhal - 3 tsps
Onion - 1
Coconut - 1 tbspn
Curry Leaves - few

Method:

1. In a pan add oil, mustard, fenugreek & once it splutters add onions & fry till golden brown, then add the garlic & fry till slightly brown.

2. Add the chopped tomatoes & stir till its well cooked. Now add the ground paste & fry for 5 minutes.

3. Then add the tamarind Water & salt & bring to a good boil.

Your Pondu Kolumbu is ready! Goes well as a side dish with rice & dhal.

17 comments:

Siri said...

This is interesting recipe Seema. I would love this kolumbu if the Garlic taste is very mild. It looks though!

~ Siri

TBC said...

This sounds really good, Seema. I looooove to add garlic wherever possible and this is garlic curry:-)

Rajitha said...

i ove garic..i will try this one..i think it will be really nice with dosas too..thnks for sharing :)

Nupur said...

I can just imagine the aroma and superb taste of that fried garlic!

Pravs said...

Have not made garlic chutney with so much garlic..like garlic..have to try this.

Laavanya said...

I add garlic in most everything I make and love it.. but arun doesn't like to see pieces of them so will probably have to mash his part of it. This looks and sounds too delicious Seema.

Srivalli said...

that looks so yummy!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

oh thanx for this Garlic recipe.. Naveen loves Garlic n I'm def gonna try this

Bong Mom said...

Grlic curry...the name it self surprised me. Sounds very interseting

Raks said...

Love this kuzhambu!!u r make my mouth watering!!

Deepa said...

I have had this at meena's place seema ...it taste great !!!!Thks for sharing the recipe

SMN said...

hey nice recipe..

swapna susarla said...

wow this is really a good recipe seema.thanku for sharing.

Kribha said...

I had this in one of my friends house long time back and I loved it. Nice to see your verion here. will try it soon.

Finla said...

This is new to me, i've had garlic pickle but not curry, it looks realy good

USHA said...

Hi Seema,

Nice and traditional recipe...i like to have with hot plain rice..hmm yummy.

Rina said...

Seema, I've never tried Poondu Kozhambu , though it is so famous in Tamil nadu. Thanx for the recipe. Have tons of Poondu at home. Better make this before they go waste.